Saturday, November 20, 2010

Making/Using Blanched Almond Flour

Several months ago I blanched a lot of whole almonds and put them into the freezer. Today I turned them into flour. It took very little time, in fact, it took less time than it did to turn the blanched almond slices I bought at Trader Joe's into flour. It is counter-intuitive! I fully expected that it would take longer (more seconds) to turn the whole almonds into flour than the almond slices. Wrong!

Now I have more blanched almond flour to use in making delicious banana-nut muffins and other goodies.

An interesting discovery in all of this is that muffins and other baked goods made with blanched almond flour heat up perfectly in the microwave. The texture doesn't change and isn't ruined the way baked goods made from wheat flour is.

I did order a whole case of almond paste from the American Almond Products company. I didn't trust myself to make it correctly, and I have many recipes that call for almond paste. I made a batch of "kransekage" cookies the other day. These are amongst my favorite treats. I want to make a almond paste chocolate torte again for the holidays. I tried it last year and it was delicious. There are also recipes for frangipane that requires almond paste.

The adventure continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment