Friday, November 26, 2010

Grain-free Thanksgiving!

This year I prepared my Thanksgiving dinner over the course of several days. I wasn't home to eat it on Thanksgiving day, but I wanted all my favorite dishes, and experimented with a new one. My Thanksgiving feast included a free-range, organic roast turkey, Brussel sprouts in cheese sauce, Danish red cabbage, Guy Fieri's whiskey glazed sweet potato and apple casserole, and a crustless pumpkin pie. I also had Trader Joe's cranberry-orange relish, which I buy every year.

I made the Danish red cabbage on Monday after school as well as the pumpkin pie without a crust. After school on Tuesday I baked the turkey and made the Brussel sprouts with cheese sauce. On Wednesday morning I made Guy Fieri's recipe for the bourbon glazed sweet potato and apple casserole. Each individual dish came out perfectly! On Thanksgiving I had a feast at a friend's house and didn't eat any of the food I'd prepared. Today I ate a complete meal, and the plate was very colorful!

This morning I cooked the carcass of the turkey and made a nice soup, adding carrots, onions and celery to the broth once it was made. I enjoyed that for lunch.

I don't recall what I made last year for Thanksgiving, but I had just started going grain-free at the time and a lot of it was a struggle. Now, I have many favorite foods which are grain-free, so it's not very much of a struggle. Visiting family or friends for Thanksgiving dinner can be a bit of a challenge since there are a number of traditional dishes that I cannot eat. However, as I have said to many of my friends over the year, I haven't starved yet! There's always food I can eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment