Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Holy Cow, it's been more than a month since my last post!

I've just finished making grain-free cheese crackers. They are delicious, and I'll make them again and again!

I used the smoky cheese blend of grated cheeses from Trader Joe's rather than just shredded cheddar cheese. I love the flavor of the smoky cheeses. The one thing I didn't do correctly was roll the dough thin enough. The recipe said to roll it until it was 1/16 of an inch thin, but I didn't manage that except on the edges. Next time I'll be sure to do that because it's necessary.

One thing I did add to the recipe was a light sprinkle of salt on the crackers before they were baked. It makes them a little more Cheez-Its like.

In order to correct my mistake of not rolling the dough thin enough, after I cut the crackers apart, I baked them again for ten minutes at 310 F in order to crisp them up. (The parts that were thin enough baked up nice and crisp to begin with.)

Here's the recipe:

2 1/2 C blanched almond flour
1 C grated smoky cheeses (cheddar or a cheddar blend)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 eggs
3 tbsp. grapeseed oil

Preheat oven to 350 F

Whisk together eggs and grapeseed oil, then pour that into the already combined dry ingredients. Work it to make a nice dough. (It's not sticky.)

Take out two baking sheets. Then cut three pieces of parchment paper the same size as the baking sheets.

Divide the dough in half.

Roll out one piece of the dough between two pieces of parchment paper. Roll it until it is only 1/16 of an inch thin.Remove top piece of parchment paper. Score the dough into the size crackers you want (1"x1", or 2" x 2"), then slide the parchment paper onto a baking sheet and bake the crackers until golden in color. (12-15 minutes or so)

Repeat with second piece of dough.

You can lightly sprinkle the dough with salt before baking if you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment