Saturday, August 21, 2010

Not exactly reinventing the wheel...

Last night I decided I wanted to recreate an almond tartlet kind of thing that I used to buy at Deluxe Foods. It was sort of like a muffin, but not exactly. It had almond paste in it, but of course it was made of flour.

I have two different recipes that I thought of combining to make what I wanted, but then I wondered what I would find if I entered the words: "moist", "dense" "almond" and "tartlet" on google. What came up were lots of different recipes for moist, dense tartlets, most made with lemon or chocolate. Then I saw one for an almond cake. I checked the recipe and thought, "Aha! I can alter this recipe and perhaps it'll come out the way I want it."

This morning I made the experiment. I changed the recipe from using regular flour to almond flour, and from using sugar to using agave nectar. Instead of baking it as a cake in a springform pan I baked them in a muffin pan. Instead of sprinkling the tops with sliced almonds and sugar, I just used sliced almonds. I also cut down the baking time.

I like the results. They are nice and moist, and the flavor is good. Here's the recipe:
Ruth's Almond Tartlets
Preheat oven to 350 F
In one bowl combine
3/4 C melted butter
3/4 C agave nectar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 C blanched almond flour

Depending upon the size of the muffin cups, fill 10 of them with the batter, then sprinkle the tops with sliced almonds.
Bake for about 30 minutes until golden brown.
Let cool in muffin pan for about ten minutes, then turn out onto cooling rack to completely cool.

I may continue to experiment. This is the one for today!

No comments:

Post a Comment