Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Gout throws a monkey wrench into things....

Last month I had a gout attack. The doctor explained how gout is a form of arthritis. (I didn't know that; I knew it had to do with a build up of uric acid, but that was about it.) When I got home from Doctors on Duty, I started research on gout, and I learned that many of the foods I had recently been eating contained purine, a substance that can cause gout in various joints. Foods high in purine include cauliflower, mushrooms, asparagus, and spinach.I'd been eating a lot of tomatoes, spinach,mushrooms, and bell peppers, as well as using chili peppers. Also, even though I know I shouldn't I'd been eating some regular potatoes! Other foods one is to avoid include organ meat such as liver, shell fish including lobster, crab, and shrimp. I'd been enjoying shrimp and crab shortly before the attack.

This month I went to my regular doctor, and I explained to her about the gout attack. She now wants to do several tests for rheumatoid arthritis, autoimmune diseases and the like. In doing more research on arthritis I rediscovered something I'd read many years ago: nightshades are not helpful to your body if you have arthritis.

Last week I decided to go on a one month experiment to determine whether that's true for me or not. After doing my three month guinea pig experiment on myself two years ago and learning that indeed grains and legumes do hinder the absorption of iron, calcium, magnesium and zinc, I know it's best to find out for myself if there is any truth in the claim. Interestingly enough, I've noticed that after only a few days of not eating any nightshades, there is no more residual swelling in my left hand and wrist--there was last week when my doctor examined me. I also am not as achy all over as I was before stopping the nightshades.

Sigh...so, I've been learning to be even more thoughtful in what I eat. A friend asked me on Sunday what is left to eat if one doesn't eat any grains, legumes, or nightshades. The answer is lots! I haven't cut out meats; I've read that some people with arthritis tolerate chicken better than turkey. I pay attention to whether or not I'm in pain, and I take note of what seems to make a difference.

Oh yes, the doctor who diagnosed the gout also said to avoid fructose because there has been research that indicates that can be a trigger. I'm careful with that anyway, but now I'm even more careful.

No comments:

Post a Comment